The government has recently introduced a requirement for voters to show photo ID when voting at a polling station at some elections.

From 4 May, voters in England will need to show photo ID to vote at polling stations in some elections. This means that Voter ID will apply to the Parish and District Council elections due to be held on that date.

Individuals who don’t have an accepted form of photo ID (examples include Passport; Driving Licence, Older Persons Bus Pass; Disabled Persons Bus Pass; “Blue Badge”) can apply for a free voter ID document, which is known as a Voter Authority Certificate.

You can still use an acceptable form of photo ID if it’s out of date, as long as it looks like you. The name on your ID should be the same name you used to register to vote.

You will not need ID to vote by post, you will be issued with a postal ballot as usual. If you choose to nominate a proxy to vote on your behalf they will need to have their own ID to be issued with a ballot paper.

Further information about accepted forms of photo ID; how to apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate; postal and proxy voting; and what to expect on polling day can be found via this link (then click “Voter ID) or phone the New Forest District Council Electoral Services Team on 023 8028 5445

If you don’t already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you’re not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can also apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate, by visiting