Fordingbridge is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 under the name Forde. The River Avon runs through the town which lies 13 miles south of Salisbury. To the east is the New Forest and to the west are the Western Downlands and Cranborne Chase. The current population is approximately 6000 people.
The first Great Bridge, from which the town received its present name, was built in mediaeval times prior to 1252. It is built of local stone and has a total of 7 arches spanning the river. Although it has been subject to various works over the years it remains a major feature of the town. A bronze statue of the controversial painter, Augustus John, stands on the banks of the Avon near the Great Bridge.
The town enjoys a beautiful park where visitors and locals can take advantage of the river, the children’s play area, skate park, secluded memorial gardens and sports playing fields.
Since 1982 Fordingbridge has been twinned with Vimoutiers in Normandy. It is also home to Fordingbridge Turks FC, one of the 50 oldest football clubs in England, established circa 1868.
Fordingbridge Town Council is politically independent and has 12 elected councillors who are accountable to the electors of the town. Currently we have 8 members of staff and the annual precept for 2020/21 is approximately £230,000. As a Town Council we are the first layer of local government. Our aim is to engage local people and respond to their needs, through representation as community advocates and by providing services such as parks and open spaces.